Tuesday, November 16, 2010

thank you yo gabba gabba

yo gabba gabba

I'm quickly learning everything goes out the window when you have a baby. Before Matteo was born I had all sorts of great ideas. Some I gave up on immediately (cloth diapers) and some I've actually managed to stick with (making my own baby food). I think for the most part, Matt and I do a good job remaining open, flexible, and willing to evaluate the pros and the cons of things instead of trying to force things a.) because they are convenient for us, b.) because they follow 'the book', or c.) because this baby-obsessed culture we live in tells us we have to do it their way or else we'll be irreparably screwing up our child and he'll never get into Yale because we used the wrong kind of baby carrier. (That's kind of how it feels sometimes.)

I read a LOT of parenting books after Matteo was born - to the point where my head started to spin and they all started to contradict one another. I still use them for referencing specific questions but after about the first six weeks decided I need to adopt my own parenting philosophy. It's pretty simple. Basically, if we all are happy and healthy and still able to get most things done (most being the key word here - I'm still working on being able to let certain things go and not feel guilty) I think we're doing more than okay.

TV watching is one of the things I've had to let go of. I used to swear that I'd never let him watch TV until he was two, which is what the books say. But guess what? There are times when I'm alone and have to shower and the toys in the pack and play aren't cutting the mustard. And there are afternoons when I come home from work and I really need just a few minutes to recharge my battery before spending the rest of the evening entertaining, feeding and bathing a 6-month old who requires a lot of focus and energy.

Thank God for Yo Gabba Gabba. Seriously. He loves it. I love it. It's not very educational but why does it have to be? He's a baby who loves music and watching other kids and bright colors and it has lots of all three. Sometimes it's a little weird (umm... Elijah Wood's dancey dance), but mostly the songs are catchy in a non-annoying way and have good messages delivered by bands I like to listen to. Chromeo sings about washing your hands. The Roots tell you to love your family. Alright, sounds good to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment