Wednesday, June 6, 2012

the district

smithsonian
smithsonian

I went to D.C. for work trip a couple of weeks ago. I lived and worked in D.C. for a year on two separate occasions in my 20's so I booked a hotel in Dupont Circle to re-visit some of my favorite places.

view from my hotel
hotel view

dupont fountain
dupont circle

kramerbooks
kramerbooks & afterwords

metro
metro

D.C. is such a great city, and it was an especially fantastic city to live in when I was young, foolish, and didn't make a lot of money. There is so much history and culture to see and do for free, and as urban experiences go it's relatively tame. I had one free afternoon so I met my brother for lunch in Chinatown and then went to the Museum of Natural History and the National Portrait Galley.

chinatown
chinatown

kevin, monument
kevin, monument

ll cool j
portrait of ll cool j

My last night in the city I walked past the building where I had my first real job, past the bars where I used meet friends for drinks after work, past the corners where I had seen Tom Brokaw, and George Stephanopolous. The city looked so much the same. It was a strange feeling and I felt a little like Ebenezer Scrooge when he visits his past, standing on the outside looking in at himself when he was younger, reflecting on choices he made. But I missed Matt, and I missed Matteo, and as fun as it was to take a trip through my early 20's, I was happy to be headed home to my family.

Thanks for the memories, D.C.!

No comments:

Post a Comment