Thursday, October 17, 2013

grilled cheese season

Is it me or are grilled cheeses everywhere these days? (See here and here.)

One of my favorite kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches is the kind you get at a diner - the kind that comes with crunchy buttered bread and gooey American cheese and a little bit of pickle.

big boy triple decker grilled cheese
the Big Boy triple decker

But I also enjoy a little more flavor, hence, the grown-up grilled cheese. I was first introduced to grown-up grilled cheeses in 2005 in Domino magazine and their winning combinations of Gorgonzola & Honey, Cheddar & Mango Chutney and Smoked Mozzarella, Prosciutto & Basil.

grilled cheeses done right

I have made all three and each one is a home run. And, if you have the time, they make the BEST party food. Our local sub shop sells day-old loaves of their bread (which is the size of a baguette but much softer) so if I'm cooking for a group I'll pick up 6-8 loaves, a hell of a lot of butter, and go to town making piles of mini sandwiches.

mini grilled cheeses yum
best party food ever

Here is a closer look at the recipes - complete with beer parings!

grilled cheeses - the details

You know what else I like on my grilled cheese? SUGAR. Here's another winner of a combination. This recipe calls for a panini press but I just grill mine up in a pan. (Click on the photo for a closer look.)

grilled_cheese

Happy grilling!

No comments:

Post a Comment